The Scientific Advisory Committee was formed to advise the Board of Directors on programming and research goals that will best accomplish the mission of chILD and to help with liaisons between the chILD Foundation and other important scientific groups such as the Children’s Interstitial Lung Disease Research Network (chILDRN), the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the American Thoracic Society (ATS).
The committee is comprised of a minimum of five medical or research professionals with skills in a variety of chILD-related endeavors, such as diagnosis, research, clinical trials, imaging and pathology.
- Dr. Martha Fishman Boston Children’s Hospital, Chair
- Dr. Lawrence Nogee, Johns Hopkins Hospital,
- Dr. James S. Hagood, UC San Diego, Rady Children’s Hospital,
- Dr. Benjamin Gaston, University Hospital of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve School of Medicine.
- Dr. James Bridges, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
The SAC has also established a Medical Education Committee chaired by Dr. Elizabeth Fiorino, Cohen Children’s Medical Center, Northwell Health.
In addition to interfacing with other scientific groups, the committee’s range of duties include:
- Advising the Foundation about grant funding models that are appropriate for the pursuit of chILD research
- Providing internal and external scientific review of grants as requested
- Providing guidance on registry support
- Facilitating and encouraging grant funding for chILD Research
- Supporting the planning of the Annual Conferences, Continuing Medical Education Programming, and any chILD sponsored Research Conferences
- Reviewing educational literature and patient information for accuracy
To read the full charter for the Scientific Advisory Committee, click here.